Saturday, March 2, 2024

More Walks; More Amusement

We walked to the Equestrian Center (EC) yesterday.. Took mostly road and one segment on the horse trail. No Tori. She is really improving nicely with not eating grass and not having to chat with other horses. 


All went great. But not without incident. Expect the unexpected! We had just gotten on the horse trail from the road and the last segment of the walk before we hit the EC.

We were passing by a 10-foot-high or so grove of Palmetto. Suddenly - and fluidly - Kai heads herself into it. This is a tiny bit odd maybe, but at home, with the large palmettos in her big paddock, if she wants to get from point A to point B and palmettos are in the path, she plows right through the center. Yeah, this is kinda weird but I'm used to it.


So she continues walking with me, parallel to the path but three feet deep into the palmettos. At this point of course: “where is my camera!” But as usual I am late.

Then she stops, backs up... looks like she's going to sit down!...  and Ah ha!… she is … scratching herself?? .. By now I've got the phone out but of course she comes towards me finished (and seeming pleased with herself). 


So I thought I would give her another chance… I walk in the reverse direction to see if she will perform the same "scratching technique". However instead of going parallel now she goes perpendicular ...and right INTO the grove!

Lost the lead line; lost the video. The grove is thick and tall, and I could not follow her. A possible panic for many people (no line on her...) but I I was pretty certain she’d come right back. ..so I kissed, and out she comes, calmly walking up to me. 


So what you see in the video is this- and apologies for the crappy recording but I did not expect this!



And just as a review...  a screenshot from the video for emphasis!



Back on the trail... we arrive at the EC. I’m not allowing her to eat any grass. She is being super. We pass two paddocks with two horses each in them (and they are very interested in us)... we stop and look from a distance of 40-50 feet. Resuming the sandy trail walk to the round pan.... she decides she’s going to have a roll. 
Here? Now?? Yes.


I love this horse!

We did some actual "work" in the round pen - yielding hindquarters, some "lunging" at liberty... she still gets sticky at times; seems to decide somewhat randomly when she will travel happily one direction vs. another. I try and make it a game - interspersing "fun" (hard to explain... and sometimes I think she thinks I am nuts, but the idea is to not take everything too seriously, allow her to be  the horse she is, and sure reward every try). 

As in my last post, I have had periods of anxiety over whether I am doing right by her. 
I have to admit that actually it has been a fantastic experience so far. I often don't communicate as many positives as I feel. It is really so fun and gratifying!

Thanks for reading!









No comments: