Sunday, December 17, 2023

More (Better but Boring) Lunging; and Slight Improvements in Lifting Feet

All the recent work with Kai is a bit boring, and this is no different! But I haven't posted much (I am entrenched in a work project so actually not spending much time with her overall) so I am today, just to cap off where we were before she leaves for her stint at the trainer's.

I continue to try and be aware of my body position when I "lunge" her (on or off line) - trying to maintain my position in the center of the ring with a "bubble" of safety around me, and pushing her at the hip rather than at the shoulder. Most of my videos look like I am at the shoulder, and often I am. Working on that. Luckily she is understanding my intent so we are able to accomplish the main task of getting her to go around me. I think I have improved at not over-cuing, and using finger-point, then cluck, then whip as needed.

So here is a fairly boring vid of the most recent free-lunge session. She's really chill as we know, but also this can somewhat equate with lazy, and you can see many moments where she checks in with me to ask if she can stop, and I ask her to continue; in a few cases she does show a little spicy protest.... Kind of funny. 



Additionally we are working on lifting the feet and holding (prep for farrier). I had a tiny breakthrough when I realized I could use her incredible itchiness as a tool. Here are the hind feet (they are the more difficult, so skipping the fronts for the vid)... If she so much as thinks about holding, I reward with a great big long belly scratch. And she does really well since thais is highly motivating for her! After the scratch I think it is significant to wait a moment before asking again for a lift. That way (in my mind) she has the opportunity to crave that scratch. You can even see her inch her rear end toward me after completing the cycle, as if to say "Here! Do me again!". And again... pretty funny.

Quite proud of this and us, for being able to make that jump between just lifting (and/or kicking out), and understanding that holding is what I want. It is these little advancements that make for the whole gratification with horses, for me.




No comments: