Monday, December 4, 2023

Lunging with Jugs; Curiosity

 The generic lunging exercises seem a bit dull lately so I've looked for ways to spice it up. She's so blasé about everything though that nothing really gets her upset (and YAY for that)!

Here I tied some empty plastic jugs to her surcingle to see reactions. It was also an opportunity to encourage her curiosity, and the jugs may be the most interesting object yet to her.
I myself still have positional/spatial issues... But it is IMPROVING!
First vid is a clip after I had already tied one jug and am adding the second; you can see her interest and un-fazed attitude.
Second vid we are lunging. She is a lazy type; it takes a bit more pressure when asking her to trot. BTW when she is traveling closer to the camera, I am not sure you can tell but she tends to be a bit in my space, thus I am using the whip to push her out (more toward shoulder than hip).



I have improved in keeping my cues minimal, but it still needs work/clarity: i.e., raised hand for direction, 2) cluck or kiss, 3) raising whip, 4) making noise with whip, 5) cracking whip, 6) touching her with whip. AND, as SOON as she responds appropriately, taking the cue/pressure away (they learn by the RELEASE of pressure as opposed tot he pressure itself). It is tricky bc (being lazy) she may decide that she's allowed to stop or slow.
Third vid is taking a quick break to just be curious. I could have simply removed the jugs but I decided to engage her... I love how she steps forward to follow the jug when I drag it.
...Someday, cows!!!



No comments: