Friday, February 16, 2024

Off-Property walk #7

Our biggest walk yet - around the block (partly through the woods which we had done before). This included much more road-walking, and we stopped at the neighbors', whose horses are the ones Kai can see about 50 feet from her paddock's back corner shown here:



Kiki is a 24 yo quarter horse who is (frequently) in season, and looking to Kai for romance!
Kai was appropriate in her response: tolerating only so much until she had to tell Kiki to back off a bit!


Kiki and Sassy

Some of the road walking:
would like to get her back at a safer distance, though she has been compliant all along, never rushing forward or ahead of me, or past my space, and stopping right when I do. Still, with her lack of experience I would like her at this stage to remain 100% behind me by about four feet. (Working on it....!!)

Overall for her experience, it is amazing how okay she is with everything. A very loud sports car starting up, heavy equipment across the street (lots of building happening here in Pine Ridge), dogs coming at us, etc.


Today we will either load up and go to the Equestrian Center (a mile away) to play in the obstacle arena or round pen or jumping arena, or, I will take her for a longer walk, our first on the actual horse trails! Tori would much prefer this option since at the EC she will have to be tied and on leash (anyone that knows me knows she's rarely on leash... 😯).

When we got home I rewarded Kai with a little grazing session. My grass is pathetic... but weeds are good...!








No comments: